YORK LODGE No. 236
York Lodge 236 . History of York lodge. Lodge Building. Lodge Calendar. Zetland Chapter. Charity. Joining The Lodge. Links. Contact us / Location.
First Degree
Tracing Board
Copyright © by York Lodge No. 236.
All photographic images and content is protected by copyright. Therefore, material belonging to the York Lodge No. 236 may not be copied, used, or distributed in any form or manner without the expressed permission of the York Lodge No. 236.
Web site created and maintained by W.Bro. Chris Patrick.
Lodge Room
Second Degree
Tracing Board  
Third Degree
Tracing Board  

View of the East

The impressive Lodge room is 40 ft long and 30 ft wide and built in the classical style. The interior of the Lodge room was designed by Bro. J Barton-Wilson, a Freemason from London.

Masters Chair. - The Masters chair, in the centre of the picture, is of Mahogany and was presented to the Lodge, together with two Wardens chairs, by the then Master, Bro. Robert Farrer, and his Wardens, Bro. Thomas Simpson & Bro. Edward Newton in 1856, and have been in continual use ever since.

The Banner of the Union York Lodge. - This is seen hanging immediately behind the Masters chair and was presented to the Lodge in 1855 by six members. This shows the name of “Union Lodge”, prior to the change of name to “York Lodge” in 1864. It is made up of four coats of arms. The arms of the City of York, The arms of the Grand Lodge of All England at York, circa 1725, The arms of the “Moderns” and The arms of the “Antients”.

Obligating Pedestal. - This is seen on the floor of the Lodge in front of the Masters chair. The Pedestal was made by Bro. J Consitt of the Grand Lodge of All England circa 1770. On the demise of this Lodge, Bro. Consitt later joined Union Lodge, and the Pedestal has since been in constant use.

Chairs either side of Masters Chair. - These chairs were presented to the Lodge in 1864 by the Trustees of the Lodge.

Statues. The statues on the left and right side of the Lodge represent St. John the Baptist and St. John The Evangelist respectively. They are beautifully carved from Caen Stone, and were presented to the Lodge in 1866 by the Zetland Chapter.

View of the West

Senior Warden’s Chair. - Presented with Masters chair as above.

Pedestal. - On floor of Lodge in front of Senior Warden’s chair. This, together with the Master’s Pedestal, Junior Warden’s Pedestal, Secretary’s Pedestal, and Treasurer’s Pedestal were purchased by the Lodge in 1848. The Treasurer’s & Secretary’s Pedestals have since been joined to create a writing table for the Secretary. The emblems & figures on these Pedestals were designed by Bro. William Plows, and merit careful examination.

Organ. - The Organ was commissioned in June 1864, and made by Denman of York. Subsequently in 1879 it was enlarged by the addition of a new and complete Swell Organ and Reed Stops. These improvements were carried out by Robert Postill, of Monkgate, York.

View of the South.

Behind the Junior Warden’s chair can be seen the various Warrants & Centenary Warrants, and on the walls, boards showing the lists of Past Masters.

View of the North

Behind the Secretary's desk are the three Tracing Boards attached to the wall. The Tracing Boards were painted by Bro. Thomas Newnum in 1851.